Apr 29, 2011

Regarding back-scatter and enhanced pat-down by the TSA

I was recently asked by my boss to travel to the San Jose area. Problem is, I have a personal moral and legal objection to the procedures being pursued by the TSA at certain airports, notably San Jose, Oakland, and San Francisco International airports (referring to the so-called “enhanced pat-down” procedure as well as the use of body imaging gear). I would be willing to fly in elsewhere and then drive to my destination if needed. I don't know what ripples my objection will have, but I am committed to my principles.

I object on the grounds of a clear and obvious fourth amendment conflict.

Regarding solutions: I would not object to a dog in the vicinity with "eyes on" (and nose), though again on principle he should not be doing a direct search of me. If the trained dog smells something suspicious just in the vicinity and believes it is coming from me, then that is likely probable cause for a genuine search (in the vein of "in plain sight" (smell is surely equally valid).

Dogs, profiling, and accepting risk -- nobody can make you 100% safe, even if you give up 100% of your libert -- are all good.

Probably the right solution is to get this airline safety function out of the hands of a federal bureaucracy and put it in the hands of the airlines -- they're not encumbered by limits such as the fourth amendment, and any business I do with them is on the basis of a voluntary contract between two parties.

If America West does backscatter and I don't like it, then I can fly Southwest. If Southwest does profiling, but I'm okay with that, then there you have it. If lots of TWA flights are falling from the sky because of ineffective *private* security or maintenance, then guess what: I'm going to fly with someone else.

Problems solved: I can research ahead of time who has an acceptable security measures, risk, convenience and cost, and I (an informed adult) can make a decision.

My only requirement is that the airlines give full disclosure on those characteristics and not misinform.

"Government is not the solution to the problem. It is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"If you are not willing to be the guarantor of your own protection, then there is nothing any government can do to protect you." - Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is enabled, to fight spam but to allow "anonymous" users to post.

Whether you agree or disagree, your post will be allowed, as long as you follow these terms:

No profanity: damns and hells are okay, but words that aren't allowed on tv will not make it through.

No blind rage: if you have a criticism or an agreement, try to support your position with rational argument.