Jul 15, 2014

Greg Abbott, Attorney General, where are you?

Will Mr. Abbott please address the obvious deficiencies in the Attorney General's office?  Here are a few from experience with the Child Support division; there are surely more:


  1. Most significantly, if my ex-spouse fails to complete her paperwork, or completes it incorrectly or omits data, the OAG holds me liable for any presumed non-compliance, threatens sanctions and legal action.  Even if I am able to provide proof that I am in compliance (such as copies of endorsed processed checks and bank statements), they will not accept that. However, what incentive does an estranged ex-spouse have to take any action (let alone timely action) to produce correct and proper documentation that demonstrates my compliance?  This is fundamentally broken and fails the common-sense test, let alone a presumption of innocence and burden of proof!
  2. If I am paid bi-weekly, then the OAG divides my annual child support obligation by 12 to calculate my monthly obligation, but divides by 26 to calculate my withholding out of each paycheck. Thus, often I receive a warning notice that I am in arrears with a balance due, even though I have never missed a payment and it is auto-deducted. Their systems should be able to handle this case.
  3. If my attorney has ever contacted the OAG, they refuse to speak to me, even though I am ultimately the customer.
  4. In this day of technology and on-line banking, there is still not a simple on-line bill-payment option; every other payee I have in my life has a simple on-line payment option.  All of the available options for the OAG either require a check in the mail, their own broken paycheck deduction system (see note for #1 above), or dollar and process limitations.  The narrow list of allowed providers wreaks of cronyism -- there is no reason one should not be able to do direct-pay from a bank account, or electronic check, or on-line debit payment.

Respectfully,
A Proud and Engaged Texas Father

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is enabled, to fight spam but to allow "anonymous" users to post.

Whether you agree or disagree, your post will be allowed, as long as you follow these terms:

No profanity: damns and hells are okay, but words that aren't allowed on tv will not make it through.

No blind rage: if you have a criticism or an agreement, try to support your position with rational argument.